Top 50 SEO Tips & Tricks for E-commerce Websites
Owning and operating an e-commerce website can be financially rewarding. It’s a great way for anyone to start their own business without having all of the overhead costs associated with a traditional “Brick and Mortar” business. You can start your e-commerce store on a shoestring budget and have it up and running and making money today.
Of course, the key to making money with an e-commerce website is to attract customers. To get the traffic you need to turn your online business into a moneymaking machine, you need to use proper search engine optimization (SEO), which makes your site more visible online and acts like a magnet for potential customers. Here are the Top 50 SEO tips and tricks to ensure success for your e-commerce website.
Directories and Bookmarking
1. Put a link to your site to online directories and bookmarking sites. Just make sure they are quality, respected sites. Bad ones can hurt your site in the SEO rankings. The highly ranked directories are usually the best.
2. Put individual pages from your website on bookmarking sites like Digg and StumbleUpon. This will give the interior pages of your site better search engine rankings, which is just as important as getting the main page to rank highly.
3. Use paid directories. The results vary, but the ones that are worth it are really worth it. Experiment with some of the most highly ranked ones, and see which ones boost your site in the search engine rankings the most.
4. If you make a website page for a product that is trending in the news, re-post that page to all of the good bookmarking sites (if you haven’t bookmarked it already). Relevant posts get the most attention on those sites.
5. Make your own directory, and link your site to it. Encourage other e-commerce store owners to link to it as well. The more e-commerce sites that link to your directory, the more authoritative it will be to the search engines for that type of site.
6. Social media links are not SEO powerhouses, but they can bring additional traffic, and therefore, income, to your site. Therefore, put social media sharing buttons on every page of your site. Give people all the opportunities in the world to share your content.
7. Get a Facebook account for your site, and keep it updated with interesting news about new products or uses for your products. Post customer testimonials as you get them, as well.
8. Get a Twitter account and link it to your Facebook account. Whatever you post on Twitter (quick updates and links to new product pages) will go on your Facebook account, too.
9. Get a YouTube account and post videos promoting your site. Include a link to your site in the video description.
10. Get a Pinterest account and post photos of your products being used. Link back to your main store site so people can buy while they are feeling inspired.
11. Get an Instagram account for your site, and post the same types of things you are posting on Pinterest, also with a link back to your main website.
12. Encourage your friends, family, customers, and social media followers to share your content with their friends and family. You will get a lot of new customers just from this kind of sharing.
Use Free, Quality Links
13. Get all of the free links on quality, authoritative sites that you can manage. Any link on a good site will boost your SEO credibility just a little bit more, and every little bit helps.
14. Make a Wikipedia page for your e-commerce store, and link your store to it.
15. Answer people’s questions on Yahoo Answers, and link back to your site (make sure your answer is relevant to your site.).
16. Use online classified ads like Craigslist to link to your site.
17. Get an account on Hubpages (it’s free.), write about one of your products, and include a link to your site on the article. You can do this for every individual product in your store.
18. Do the same thing on Squidoo.
19. Do the same thing on EzineArticles.
20. Go to forums where people are talking about e-commerce in general or the products you sell in particular. Put a forum signature into your profile so it shows up on every post, and link to your site through your signature.
21. Set up an RSS feed for your site so your customers can get updates when you post a new product, sale, or some other important news. Include a link back to a previous page or the brand-new page in everything that goes on the RSS feed.
Get or Write Reviews
22. Start a blog on your e-commerce site where you review relevant new products that are on other sites. Visitors to your site will link back to your reviews if they like them, boosting your site’s SEO.
23. Write reviews of products on any shopping site you come across that allows reviews. Include a link back to your site in your reviews.
24. Write testimonials for other sites. Most site owners will be glad for the testimonial and will allow you to link back to your own site in return.
25. Write press releases about your site, and submit them to the free press release sites. Include a link back to your site or product page in your press releases. These releases may get online news attention that will prompt other people to write reviews about your site on their own sites, with links back to your main page or one of your product pages.
26. Search engines and readers both love lists. By writing as many lists as you can on your site’s blog, you’ll draw search engine attention and attract new visitors.
27. Make a list of your top 10 best-selling products and why customers love them.
28. Write lists for the holidays, such as the top 10 products you sell for Valentine’s Day or Christmas, etc.
29. Write seasonal lists, such as the top 10 (or however many) products on your site for each season.
30. Make a list of the various ways an individual product can be used. Do this for all of your products.
31. Make a list of the most important manufacturers in your industry. If it gets the attention of someone in that company, they may link back to you on their site, which is a super SEO boost for you.
Take Care of On-Site SEO
32. Have a sitemap. A sitemap is a must for on-site SEO. The search engines will never take your site seriously without one.
33. Include meta tags. These are the keywords that will define your site. You want people to look for these keywords when searching for your site and what it sells. When included on the admin side of your site as meta tags, these keywords will draw special search engine attention, and give you a better chance of ranking more highly for these words, especially as your site ages and gains more popularity and respect through promoting it.
34. Use a responsive theme. Responsive themes self-adjust to fit any screen on which they are viewed. This means your customers will be able to easily see all of your site (no scrolling required!), even on tiny screens. This type of theme is very friendly to mobile device users, particularly those who are on mobile phone screens. Using a responsive theme is a good sign to the search engines that you are a serious site owner who cares about the experience of your visitors, and this will boost your on-site SEO tremendously.
Use News to Your Advantage
35. Link to relevant articles on news sites. Your customers will appreciate the information, and it will look good to the search engines.
36. Link to relevant news announcements on related sites. They will often link back.
37. If there is a site that publishes news relevant to your product niche, send them an article about your niche (don’t make it too promotional.). If the site publishes it, you’ll get a link back to your site.
38. Create your own news. Do surveys or studies of other sites within your niche, or examine different manufacturers. Post these articles on a separate page of your site titled “Industry News,” for example.
39. Send press releases to local newspapers, radio, and TV stations. Include the URL to your site in the release. If they publish or read your release, they will most likely include the URL to your site.
40. Submit press releases to local or national clubs and organizations that are pertinent to your product niche or the e-commerce industry. You may get published in their newsletters, along with your site’s URL.
41. Be a guest speaker at these organizations. Hand out business cards with your site’s URL on it, or have it included in the meeting’s program.
Use Quality Content With Appropriate Keywords
42. Remember that content is king when it comes to the search engines. Make sure everything you post is spelled correctly and is grammatically correct.
43. If you aren’t able to write without spelling or grammar mistakes, hire someone who can.
44. The more content that is on your site, the better the search engines will like it. Hundreds of pages of content will only improve your site in terms of SEO and search engine attention.
45. Write lengthy posts and product descriptions. Just a few sentences looks like spam to search engines. Write several paragraphs for everything. If you can get 500 words or more per post and description, it will be better in terms of SEO.
46. Include keywords you want to rank for in the search engines in your content, but don’t be obvious about it. One keyword per blog post or product description is sufficient.
47. Write for real readers, not the search engines. Arranging keywords and the structure of your content in a way that pleases the search engines will actually turn off readers. You get your best SEO results when the search engines can see that real readers are spending time on your site, presumably reading your content.
Become an Authority Site
48. The more visible your site is online in a variety of places, the more respect and trust it will get. This is part of what establishes an authority site (along with quality content), and search engines love authority sites. An e-commerce site needs to be visible everywhere people who shop for what the site carries go online. It also needs to have lots of good content on it. It’s not enough to simply have product pages, though those are essential to making money. To really become an authority site with your e-commerce store, you need pages for reviews, lists, blog posts, customer testimonials, and more.
49. Make new posts often, either by adding new products and product descriptions or by making new blog posts. The more frequently your site is updated, the more respect and attention it will get from the search engines.